Friday, March 21, 2008

Is getting hard to get parts or am I living on a far far country?!

Last monday got in the car to take the kids to the Day Care. The car started great and it was warming up as I buckle the little gang on their child seats (well always a job since the 924S is not made for those who have kids). Once I depress the clutch... surprise... the slave cylinder decided to go south without us. This is not the first time I had this problem and of course I knew what to get to fix it. Well at this point I remember: I'm now living in Canada, not in the US and in Quebec ,excellent place to live, nature way of life, but .. well I'll finish the story and you'll understand. So got the stroller put the boy in it pick up my computer bag, dinner and my little girl and walked to the Day Care (luckily a couple of blocs from the house). Pick up the scooby and drove to work. Upon my arrival I started looking on the net for the repair kit. Of course couldn't find one in Canada, if I get one at Pelican, PAP or Paragon it will take 4 to 5 days so I decided to call Mark Motors in Ottawa. I have a great experience with the parts guys and they are very good on parts. Well got the guys on the phone, asked if they have the kit and to my surprise they didn't. Well it costs 11 bucks and they have to order from god knows where !!! So I've asked if they had the slave cylinder and the price of it (ok now is the funny part) No they also have to order - the part (ATE or FTE made) costs around 120 bucks, and also a 4 days wait as well... So to be nice the parts guy gave a price for the install... 1,300 smakaroos !!!
ROTFLMAO I told politely how they could charge 1,300 bucks for a 20 to 30 minutes job (including the bleeding). The guy asked me if I knew how to do it, and I said if I was looking for the kit it was for a reason.  Later on of my pals from the list mentioned the price 997 owners are paying for the 30K inspection (1,000 dollars).
Anyway, I've got the part from auto parts on line   for 142.oo with the overnight shipping. UPS let the part on my door Tuesday PM. Came home and installed the part all was fine...
Now I started digressing about this situation: 
While in Georgia if I had a problem I just grab the phone, called for parts, tires whatever and got them pretty fast. It was hard to not to find a part. At the same period I remember one of the guys on the Porschefans list, Monish Ball who had a lot of trouble getting his car in shape, and getting the part for him (in India) was a pain. Well Monish, I'm now in Canada, Quebec and I have the same troubles as you had to get parts.... 

No comments: